Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A little bit of everything


A rare treat, Pat and I were able to go to the movies last weekend again. We saw Indiana Jones 4 and while we were told it was good but just ok we both loved it and were so into it that we barely noticed the kids behind us that were either repeating everything that was being said, or screaming at completely inappropriate times. Like when NOTHING was happening. Anyway, Pat said that he felt guilty pawning the kids off on his mom two weekends in a row. To which I told him that it was only a few hours and that it wasn't that big of a deal. He said that he didn't want to impose on his mom and I told him that if she didn't want to watch the boys she'd say she didn't or couldn't watch them. Plus, it's not like we do this all the time. Before we saw these two movies, the last one we went to see was....

"The Spiderwick Chronicles" And it just came out on DVD so that tells you how long ago it was. Unlike some other people, (my sil) the movies is a treat for us. We can get sitters and have money to go sometimes, not a lot, mind you, but we do have plans to go but usually one thing or another gets in the way and we don't end up making it to see the movie. What's been happening lately is that we get there and the show we want to see is either sold out or has already started and if its too late into the movie, I'd rather not go in and see it. But try again another day. And to be perfectly honest, there has been a time or two when we had plans to go see a movie and the dear MIL took the baby overnight so that we could and it was so peaceful at home that I just wanted to stay and relax and not rush out all over town. Ya know?
So I just have to say this because it has really been bugging me. On the news the other day, they had a story that a baby who had been left in a hot car for 2 hours had died. And my heart goes out to the mother who left him in the car. It sounds like he lived for about 3 or 4 days before he passed away. I can't even imagine the mental anguish that this poor lady has been going through. She had gone to a friends house and left the 5 month old (some reports said it was 3 months old) in the car for two hours and she had just forgot that he was there. I personally wanted to know how you could forget your baby and why the friend didn't ask her where the baby was, wouldn't that have jogged your memory that he was out there? But anyway, they had a guy on the news (because this is the 3rd one in 3 months!!) One of the babies was found right after the parents left it in the car to go shopping and he broke out the window and called the cops so that one was fine. The other poor baby died. The "expert" said that if you were forgetful that you should set something that you wont forget next to the baby so that when you get said item, you'll remember to grab the baby. I was like WHAT???? Now I'm just as scatter brained as the next person but the baby is the one thing that I remember!! I've left milk in the car, my phone, the diaper bag, ect. So I just want to know what is something you'd remember if you couldn't remember the baby.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

First off, I'm going to have to agree with you. How in the hell can you forget a baby?? I'm just as forgetful as the next person, but that doesn't mean that I ever forgot to grab my babies. If I knew I was only going into the local 7-11 for a soda and left the car running I'd leave them, but that was such a rare thing when the babies were small that I never really had that happen. But "just forgetting?!" INSANE!!!!

Anonymous said...

If it was when the babies are younger it could be associated to their post partum. I use to freak out after violet was born and i would think i left her somewhere and i would put my hand back in her car seat to make sure she was in there. i had horrible panic attacks after she was born. i think it started and had to do with her being jaundice and having to go to so many apts and always being gone from the house when normally i would have stayed home a ton more.

I always thought the same thing.. how do you forget your baby? but now i really think it has to be linked to some sort of post partum thing that takes over your head. I KNEW i put her in the car. I KNEW she was fine but I couldnt self talk myself out of panic mode until i felt her little head in the car seat. My post partum of course went in the other direction of being overly sensitive to where she was at all times and how she was.

I'd be interested in knowing if they have ever done a study to see if its linked? I could be wrong in my thoughts here.