Monday, December 20, 2010

Cheers to the Drama Free Christmas!!

That's my wish anyway...

I was just thinking that it was a pretty uneventful holiday season, which is probably what jinxed me, when I found out a few days before hand, that my father in law was going in for surgery-- an out patient procedure-- on his shoulder. While he was getting the once over the nurse asked him about his oxygen saturation levels, which were low. He told her that she was the 2nd person to ask him about that recently so he asked the anesthesiologist about it and was told that he should be tested for sleep apnea, etc, when he's feeling better. Then after surgery they decided to keep him over night because of how low his sat's were. So they settled him onto a room and started to run a bunch of tests. Found that he has a partially collapsed lung that he wasn't aware of. Which was why he was so winded and couldn't keep his sat's up. He ended up staying two days and coming home with oxygen.

Then Kelly came home sick on Friday, and Cameron also woke up sick on Friday. Cameron was with my sister for two days because she watched him while I went to sit with my mother in law during the surgery, then she decided to keep him an extra day to give me some me time. Which I cleaned. lol Poor Brenda is sick now too. :(

So I've had two sick kids for the weekend, and my cute, adorable 8 month old dog we just got, went into heat!!! As if I didn't have enough to deal with already. It's been so long since I've had a dog, I had to look up how long their in heat for: IT'S 3 WEEKS!!!! She's been bleeding all over my house! And I can't get her fixed until she goes out of heat!! I just hope she's done by Christmas!!!

Which as it turns out, we are going to be having here.
And, I've been baking cookies all weekend and trying to finish my sister's Christmas present! I'm not even half way done yet and less than a week to try and finish it. I might be giving it to her with what I have done and taking it back to finish it and then giving it back to her.

I got a bunch of packages in the mail today, so once I wrap them, I am caught up again. I'm trying to keep it as stress free as possible. lol

Oh and hey, I tried to make some peppermint hard candies, and the first little bit was fine, but I had to keep putting it back in the oven, and it got a bunch of air bubbles in it and made wrapping it around a wooden spoon (for the curl effect) very hard. It kept breaking apart where all the bubbles were. It was the first time I have ever made candy so I don't know what I did wrong. If anyone out there does, please let me know. THANKS!!!

Here is the recipe, it was super easy until the bubbles happened. lol Even with the bubbles, it's still really good!!

HARD CANDY PEPPERMINT TWISTS

1 Cup Water
1 Tbsp White Vinegar
2 Cups Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Peppermint Extract
1/8 tsp Red Food Coloring

Coat two 9-in. square baking pans with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. (Do not use butter or foil to prepare pans.)

In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine water and vinegar. Add sugar. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil, about 8 minutes.
(If sugar crystals are present, cover saucepan for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to allow steam to wash crystals down.)
Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300 (hard-crack stage), about 26 minutes.

Combine extract and food coloring. Remove syrup from heat; stir in peppermint mixture until well blended. (mixture will bubble up slightly.) KEEP FACE AWAY FROM MIXTURE AS ODOR IS STRONG. Immediately and carefully pour into prepared pans (Do not scrape sauce pan or tilt pans to spread mixture evenly.) Cool for 1 1/2 to 2 mintues.

Using a sharp knife, score candy into 1/2-in. to 3/4-in. wide pieces, about 3-in. long. Place both pans in a warm oven (150 or your ovens lowest temp) for at least five minutes or until candy is warm enough to cut but cool enough to handle. Using a heavy duty kitchen scissors, cut along scored lines, one piece at time. Immediately wrap each piece around the handle of a wooden spoon; remove candy and place on waxed paper to harden. Continue cutting wrapping until mixture in pan begins to harden. Return pan to oven for at least 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, remove second pan from oven. Cut and wrap as before until mixture begins to harden. Return to oven and repeat with first pan. Repeat until all mixture is cut and formed into twists.

YIELDS about 1/2 pound.

(it was in the returning to oven process that I got all the bubbles.) but it's still yummy!!

1 comment:

ibbit said...

I am so sorry all that happened. I am sure Brenda will understand about her present.